About Me

My photo
My online journal of stitchy chores and the occasional hockey talk.

2018 Finishes

1. Let It Snow by Barbara Ana Designs. Finished Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2. Victorian Thistles bookmark by Textile Heritage. Finished Wednesday, February 21, 2018


3. Keep Love by Shepherd’s Bush. Finished Saturday, February 24, 2018


4. Fleur d’Orleans by Ink Circles. Finished Wednesday, March 7, 2018


5. A Little Gray Hare by Lizzie Kate. Finished Thursday, March 15, 2018


6. March Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Monday, March 26, 2018


7. April Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Wednesday, May 2, 2018


8. May Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Tuesday, May 29, 2018


9. Japanese Anemones by Sheila Hudson. Finished Tuesday, June 12, 2018


10. The Lily Of The Valley by Blackbird Designs. Finished Wednesday, June 27, 2018


11. A Slice of Summer by Waxing Moon Designs. Finished Wednesday, July 11, 2018


12. Sweet Tulip by Jeannette Douglas Designs. Finished Tuesday, July 24, 2018


13. Autumn’s Bounty by Black Star Designs. Finished Monday, August 20, 2018


14. Caramel Apple by Mill Hill. Finished Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Number of Finishes By Year-

1. 2008 Finishes -10


2. 2009 Finishes- 21


3. 2010 Finishes- 49


4. 2011 Finishes- 26


5. 2012 Finishes- 35


6. 2013 Finishes- 7


7. 2014 Finishes- 19


8. 2015 Finishes- 61


9. 2016 Finishes- 50


10. 2017 Finishes- 30


11. 2018 Finishes-

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Bob Ross is God

Bear with me here....

I have two plastic bins full of WIPS (works in progress). One is a lot smaller than the other. The small one contains approximately EIGHTEEN WIPs and UFO's (unfinished objects).


These are projects that I work on off and on. I have gotten one or two completed, but honestly, I really do need to set aside at least one or two days a week and work on these projects alone. I hate to even mention the bigger bin. It's one of those under the bed ones and I stopped and counted and in the big bin, there are FORTY FIVE wips/ufos. FORTY BLOODY FIVE. That is 63 total, folks. 63 unfinished, incomplete works.

MARRONE.


Here's a pic of the other bin, or as I am calling it: The Big Honkin' Bin o' Denial:





I was in the process of trying to find something when I came across two designs in the bin. One was Waxing Moon's 'Hocus Pocus'. Now, some history on this piece. All of the stitching with the exception of the cobwebs in the corners was began on Tuesday, September 6, 2005 and finished sometime in November 2006. Please note the bolded and italic font in the last portion of that sentence. See the date? Like 2 BLOODY YEARS HAVE PASSED and this thing sat languishing in a plastic tub, waiting on me to get off my fat ass and actually finish it. Which I did, today, Wednesday, October 1, 2006 at 3 PM PST.

Pic of the final product:







By Waxing Moon. DMC floss, cat eye stitched in DMC metallic #5269. Cobwebs in corners stitched with Kreinik VFB #4 001. 28 count natural Pearl linen. John James platinum needles, frame by Q-Snap. Began Tuesday, September 6, 2005, finished main portion of design November 2006. Spider webs finished Wednesday, October 1, 2008.


This project and another one, Summer Glory from the Leisure Arts magazine from the 1990's, just needed a wee bit of stitching and they are DONE. I am angry with myself for letting them sit so long. Don't beleive me? Here is a before pic of the same project when I picked it back up at 2 PM PST:





(Progress picture removed from Webshots 12.01.2012 and no copy found in records)




I suppose the anger is a wasted emotion, but I can't help it. It took all of an HOUR to frog out the crappy DMC metallic that was originally in the upper left corner and re-stitch it in the Kreinik #4 VFB in 001. This thing sat for just shy of 2 years being completed, because I didn't want to deal with the DMC silver metallic. (Which is just the devil, as far as I am concerned. I could go on a rant to rival one of Dennis Miller's, however, as Alton Brown says: That's another show!). /sigh. I just got it out and finished it.


Oh, well, one down, 17 in THAT bin more to go.

Here is a pic of 'Summer Glory' by Linda Culp Calhoun for Leisure Arts Magazine 1995. Zweigart 28 count Glasgow linen in Flax. DMC embroidery floss with DMC #12 ecru perle thread. This is the last in the series and I have stitched the other three. This one was started Monday, March 21, 2005. What is the date again? o.O


(Progress picture removed from Webshots 12.01.2012 and no copy found in records)



This one has sat so long, as I have managed to switch the symbols on the chart and got them mixed up. What this ultimately means, is that one symbol was stitched in the wrong color of thread. OY. OY. OY.

This is where Bob Ross comes into play. Does anyone remember him? He was that sweet, soft voiced, mellow guy on PBS television who taught people to paint. He was a white dude with a kick ass 'fro. I loved him. I thought he was the greatest thing ever. I loved the whooshing noises he made when he painted. He totally got into his art and didn't care what people thought. Happy little trees indeed. :D

This is when I have my Bob Ross epiphany.So what? Flowers and cob webs in real life are not perfect. Who's gonna know? Unless someone is standing there with the chart in hand, looking at what I did, you can't really tell I 'screwed up'. (And if someone is standing in front of my work, with chart in hand, critiquing my work in that manner, don't blame me if both middle fingers come flying out.).


Huh.




Well then.




On the cob webs, I just did the basic outline of them and then stitched where I thought the 'legs' of the spider web should go. A la Bob Ross. 'Maybe in your world, it goes like this. WHOOSH!!' 'Maybe in your world the cobwebs are joined together. Yeeeenarrrrh!!'. 'It's your world, you can do as you please.'. I was totally getting into it, and even making the 'whooshing' noises. Mind you, I had quite the collection of Kittehz in the room at the time and they all stopped napping and cleaning themselves to stare at me as if I had lost my mind. (I probably have.).

I have the 'Summer Glory' heart all ready to go, so it's next. I am hoping to finish it by no later than Friday. This was so liberating and so productive, I've brought the smaller bin into my room and set it beside my desk so I can pull them out one by one and finish them. The bigger bin will be next after I finish all of them. I thing getting out another 18-20 out of the big bin, and putting them into the smaller one will help in decreasing said overload.

Well, on with the show. Lots to do and it's getting late in the day.


And as Bob Ross used to say: Take care, and God bless, my friends.

---


Respectfully submitted,

C.

2 comments:

Daffycat said...

HA! ***hugs*** You go, girl!

That's probably a good idea, to set aside time each week to work on UFO's. Holy crap! 63? ***bigger hugs***

Raven/Missy said...

Congratulations on getting 2 of your WIPS completed! I think your idea of refilling the smaller box from the bigger one is a good one. By doing it that way, you don't have all 61 sitting there all at once and overwhelming you.

I remember Bob Ross and his wooshing happy little trees! He was great to watch. LOL