About Me

My photo
My online journal of stitchy chores and the occasional hockey talk.

2018 Finishes

1. Let It Snow by Barbara Ana Designs. Finished Wednesday, January 24, 2018

2. Victorian Thistles bookmark by Textile Heritage. Finished Wednesday, February 21, 2018


3. Keep Love by Shepherd’s Bush. Finished Saturday, February 24, 2018


4. Fleur d’Orleans by Ink Circles. Finished Wednesday, March 7, 2018


5. A Little Gray Hare by Lizzie Kate. Finished Thursday, March 15, 2018


6. March Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Monday, March 26, 2018


7. April Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Wednesday, May 2, 2018


8. May Cake by Brooke’s Books. Finished Tuesday, May 29, 2018


9. Japanese Anemones by Sheila Hudson. Finished Tuesday, June 12, 2018


10. The Lily Of The Valley by Blackbird Designs. Finished Wednesday, June 27, 2018


11. A Slice of Summer by Waxing Moon Designs. Finished Wednesday, July 11, 2018


12. Sweet Tulip by Jeannette Douglas Designs. Finished Tuesday, July 24, 2018


13. Autumn’s Bounty by Black Star Designs. Finished Monday, August 20, 2018


14. Caramel Apple by Mill Hill. Finished Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Number of Finishes By Year-

1. 2008 Finishes -10


2. 2009 Finishes- 21


3. 2010 Finishes- 49


4. 2011 Finishes- 26


5. 2012 Finishes- 35


6. 2013 Finishes- 7


7. 2014 Finishes- 19


8. 2015 Finishes- 61


9. 2016 Finishes- 50


10. 2017 Finishes- 30


11. 2018 Finishes-

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Order out of Chaos (Or How I Learned To Organize A HAED...And Love It!)

I had some emails and some PM's on some of the message boards I frequent, asking how I organize my HAEDs. And since I had a new one come in, Silvery Moon by Jessica Galbreth, I thought I would take this opportunity to chronicle how I organize my stitching. The vast majority of my 'system' I owe to Jules of A Fairy Princess Dreams In Stitches . I figured since she was the one responsible for this HAED mess I am in, it would serve me well if I ripped of some of her organization ideas. :P


I have found that when you are dealing with a multiple page chart, with around 90 or so colors, just throwing floss in a bag and calling it a day really doesn't help. (Ask me know I know this! ;) )



First up is gathering your mats, or materials. I usually wait until I get a 20% off total purchase coupon from either Michael's or Joann's. It really helps with the savings!



Here is what I have whenever I kit up a new one:



- Trash can or garbage bag if you are tossing out your floss labels and what all. I know some folks collect them, but since I don't I generally have a small trash bag or garbage bin nearby.



- Plastic Bobbin Box . For smaller projects, you can get five bobbins in per section, so you only need one of these. I have one larger project kitted up, Cynthia , and she has 90 colors, so two boxes were needed. Make sure to get the ones with the plastic, not cardboard bobbins. The plastic ones are a LOT sturdier and you get 50 in each box to start you off. The boxes are about around $2.50 here in the US.




- Plastic thread bobbins . You may need extras of these. It never hurts to have a spare set, either, I've found. The Silvery moon SK has 50 colors, but the larger project has close to 30 some odd. Go figure! :) These will run you anywhere from .99 cents to $1.99 for about around 25 per package.




- Heaven and Earth Designs generally call for DMC six strand embroidery threads, Art. 117 for your bobbins. I know that some of the projects now call for silks, however, for this project, I am using the called for DMC. DMC here in the US is the cheapest in the world, and here we pay about around .37 cents per skein, so we here in the US are lucky. IIRC, New Zealand has the most expensive at about around $2.00 per skein. o.O



***Skip the cheapo thread winder. It does no good at all, at least for me, and I find the winding by hand to be a mindless relaxing business after I've been running around all day like a chicken with my head cut off.



- Since I am lazy and at times my handwriting is atrocious (I blame too much computer use for that!), I get a set or two of the DMC Floss Number Stickers (Article No. 6103/12) to put on the bobbins. Bold, black text on a white background and I don't ever have to guess if the 6 is actually an 8, because I was in a hurry to get it done and got sloppy with it.




- A large Single Compartment Storage Box is also nice to store the whole kit and caboodle in. It keeps your project clean and cuts down on kitteh and/or goggie hair. :)






- Office Depot offers copy and print services, in addition to lamination. Since this particular chart was sent as a hard copy, I went to have ONE, repeat ONE, working copy made, so that I can mark off the chart as I go along. This is an absolute necessity, IMO, as some of the colors are so, so close together, and as I discovered to my dismay when I first started Rhiannon , speed will get you nowhere, and fast. I get the floss key laminated for $1.50 and to me it's worth it. I'm gonna be using it for a long, long time and as is the way of things, things can and do happen. I would hate for water or chocolate or what have you get spilled on it or it get torn or whatever. Getting it laminated is strictly optional, but I've decided that it's better to be safe than sorry. :)


Here is the current floss key, all laminated and ready to go! :






Here is what my bobbin box generally looks like on the outside. I have Office Depot make a color copy of the first page with the design on it, so I can tape it to the outside of the bobbin box that I am using. Nothing is more annoying than to open a bobbin box, behold the shiny, pretty colors and then say aloud, "What is *this* for?!!!" Ask me how I know this. :P





Next up, it't time to line up the bobbins with the floss. Before I begin winding, I generally put the DMC Floss Number Stickers (Article No. 6103/12) on the bobbins, and then put everything in numerical order, just like the floss key has it listed:







And since hand winding can be a bit boring, I suggest doing this whilst watching a movie or your favorite TV shows. Today I chose The Fifth Element. LeeLoo Dallas Multipass!





And finally, after all the winding, here is what you have to show for your efforts:





Well, I hope this explains the methods to my madness. I have found that this system really works for me and it's helped keep me on track.


Well, I am off for now. Got some things to do and I need to decide what's for dinner tonight. Hope everyone is having a great week! :)


---


Respectfully submitted,


C.

2 comments:

Daffycat said...

Nice job! I use bags instead of bobbins but my method is much the same. Only I've never done a HAED just TW which are much the same in scale.

I received a desktop laminator machine for Christmas one year. That sucker is sooo handy! It only does a "page" size sheet or smaller but it's perfect for stuff like this!

Leeland said...

Yeah! Great organization, just the one I use too for my Just Nan 12 days of Xmas project (only 27 colours or so, can never compare to a HAED, definitely not for the faint hearted like me...) and I couldn't do any other way...
Thx for sharing,
Lili Bear/Leeland