About Me

My photo
My online journal of stitchy chores and the occasional hockey talk.

2017 Finishes

1. Now I Know My ABC’s (Winter theme) by Blackbird Designs. Finished Friday, January 6, 2017

2. Sew Bands by iStitch Designs. Finished Friday, January 13, 2017

3. Les Grande Pensée excerpt. Finished Friday, January 20, 2017

4.Spring For Rabbits by The Gentle Art Sampler Threads. Finished Sunday, February 12, 2017

5. Teacup Mice by Margaret Sherry. Finished Tuesday, February 14, 2017

6. New Years’ Magic by Brooke’s Books. Finished Thursday, February 23, 2017

7. Les étiquettes des bocaux (Jar Labels) Blue Teacup by Véronique Enginger of Les Brodeuses Parisiennes. Finished Thursday, March 2, 2017

8. Les étiquettes des bocaux (Jar Labels) Yellow Teabag by Véronique Enginger of Les Brodeuses Parisiennes. Finished Friday, March 3, 2017

9. Les étiquettes des bocaux (Jar Labels) Clothespin with Flowers by Véronique Enginger of Les Brodeuses Parisiennes. Finished Friday, March 10, 2017

10. Luck 2017 Flip-It by Lizzie Kate. Finished Sunday, March 12, 2017

11. Now I Know My ABC’s by Blackbird Designs (summer version). Finished Friday, March 17, 2017

12. Basket by Lizzie Kate. Finished Friday, March 24, 2017

13. Love by Lizzie Kate. Finished Sunday, March 26, 2017

14. My Wurk by At The Hop. Finished Thursday, April 6, 2017

15. Buttons and Blooms by Blackbird Designs. Finished Saturday, May 13, 2017

16. Tiny Flag by Shepherd’s Bush. Finished Friday, May 19, 2017

17. Winds of Change by Cross Eyed Cricket. Finished Wednesday, June 21, 2017

18. Summer by The Snowflower Diaries. Finished Friday, June 23, 2017

19. Flags and Friends by Bent Creek. Finished Tuesday, July 11, 2017

20. Strawberries and Cream By Casey Buonaugurio. Finished Sunday July 16, 2017

21. Be Kind and True by Blackbird Designs. Finished Sunday, August 6, 2017

22. Little Sunflower Doodle by SanMan Originals. Finished Wednesday, August 9, 2017

24. All Hallows Eve by Chessie and Me. Finished Monday, September 11, 2017

25. Creepy by SanMan Originals. Finished Tuesday, September 12, 2017

26. 2010 Fright Night Quaker Halloween by SanMan Originals. Finished Sunday, October 15, 2017

27. Boo! by Blackbird Designs. Finished Tuesday, October 31, 2017.

28. Yule by The Primitive Hare. Finished Monday, November 27, 2017

29. Merry One by Plum Street Samplers. Finished Saturday, December 9, 2017

Number of Finishes By Year-

1. 2008 Finishes -10

2. 2009 Finishes- 21

3. 2010 Finishes- 49

4. 2011 Finishes- 26

5. 2012 Finishes- 35

6. 2013 Finishes- 7

7. 2014 Finishes- 19

8. 2015 Finishes- 61

9. 2016 Finishes- 50

10. 2017 Finishes-

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

On Chestnut Street between 5th and 6th Streets

I didn't get any trips to any specialized LNS's (Local Needlework Shops) while I was in Virginia for 10 days. Why? Time was a factor. If Amber and I were not keeping the roads hot, she was at work. Here was the basic timeline:

Friday 11.21.08: Arrive in Dulles International Airport at 12:20 AM. Finally get to sleep at around 2 AM.

Friday 11.21.08: Spent the day in DC with Amber and a former co-worker of ours named Dave. Did a lot of walking, eating and picture taking. Friday night was spent with Dave's co-worker's at a Japanese steakhouse. While the food there was unremarkable, the bartender made up for it with free drinks and a lot of them.

Saturday 11.22.08: Spent the day in Baltimore, MD. Went to the Baltimore Aquarium and spent most of the day there. It was 30 bucks EACH to get in, but that included the 'Dolphin Experience' and a 4-D mini movie featuring the Polar Express. Had dinner at the Hard Rock Cafe. Dinner was good, but nothing OMFG to die for.

Sunday 11.23.08: Got up a bit late and lallygagged around for a bit. As consequence, got a late start to Richmond, VA and Amelia, VA. Why Podunk, VA? Well, see back on October 23, 1997 (a Thursday) my beloved father passed from complications due to pancreatic cancer. Enough time as passed where I don't think about it every day. But then again, I still have times where I think of nothing at all, and the pain is just as real and as raw and as fresh as it was the day he died. I had not been to Amelia where he is buried in at least 5 years. As a born and bred Southerner, I feel guilty about that. And I mean a LOT. So, a trip out there was not negotiable. It took me a while to even locate the marker. I even had walked past it 3 times, trying to find it. I called up my sister in a panic, because I knew I couldn't find it. I finally found it while on the phone with her. As I was walking towards it, I felt the tears start welling up and I felt my chest tightening up. When I got to where the marker was, I felt my knees give way and I just began crying uncontrollably. For the longest time, I just sat there on my knees crying. I didn't really cry during his sickness nor during the funeral or even after that. I was busy taking care of my mother at the time, and quite frankly, I was working full time and was just too busy. When I saw the marker, I just let it all go, and it was draining and exhausting, but well worth it. I was sorry Amber had to witness all that, but I knew in my mind I would not be judged for such displays of emotion. We went to my old neighborhood afterwards and the town home I used to live in is now for sale. They want too much for it, but isn't that always the case? We tried to go to dinner at a place called Extra Billy's, but the bastards were closed on Sundays. Which totally sucked ass, cause I was really looking forward to it, but whattyagonnado?

Here is a pic of my father's grave marker. Blogosphere, this is my Daddy. Daddy...this is...everybody. :)

Monday 11.24.08 Amber went into work for the morning then came and got me around 1230 or so. She took me to a day spa called Orchid for a mini makeover. I had a deep tissue massage, hair color, hair cut, manicure, pedicure and half my body waxed. The ladies were EXTREMELY efficient and quite good at their job. The deep tissue massage was a trip, because the gal who was giving it went so far up my thigh at one point, I immediately thought 'Happy ending?!' O.O I had a really good time and recommend it to anyone who can do that. Went back to the house and ordered a metric f-ton of Chinese food and just chilled out.

Tuesday 11.25.08: Since Amber had to work all day, I just chilled out with the dog and then cleaned the house. Amber tried to yell at me for it, but I blamed the dog. :D

Wednesday 11.26.08: Amber worked half a day. We didn't make any plans so we went to the mall and bummed around. There were a lot of people milling around and not much shopping going on. We went to the Macaroni Grill for lunch and I had the chicken Marsala ravioli that was awesome.

Thursday, 11.27.08: Ate dinner kinda late, but it was well worth it. Amber and I cooked for myself, her, and her dog. Yep. You read that right. Two people and a dog. We all overate, drank too much, and slept like kings and queens. All in all an excellent day.

Friday 11.28.08: Black Friday. Again, another late start. But we finally managed to make it to Tyson's Corner for some shopping. Hit up Bare Minerals for new make up, Victoria's Secret for a new bra (go go BioFit!) and then to find me a new suit for interviews, because I've been unemployed for what seems like an e-frickin-ternity. Had a wonderful day up until the point we went to Bloomingdale's. Now, let me explain something at this point. We had to go to the second floor to go to the 'ladies' clothing, which was not an issue. We passed by sections that had very cute, very stylish and VERY expensive clothing (350 bucks for a skirt anyone?). Then we get to the 'women's' section. Now, for those who don't know what that is, it is the section of clothing for chicks like me over a size 12. And this one was in the FURTHEST corner of the store. And this is where the fun sort of ends. The clothes that were 'offered' were nothing short of a disgrace. Ugly would be both kind and an overstatement. I was horrified. The one lone saleswoman we saw all of 30 seconds disappeared and we never saw her again. We were never waited on. We had NO issues spending a massive amount of money on a good looking suit, so that I can be gainfully employed once more, but I was adamant in not spending a DIME in that store. We were even going to hit up the Lancome counters for anti aging crap, but I was going to be damned if we were going to blow that kind of money on piss poor service and even worse clothing options. So, needless to say, Bloomingdale's is on my shit list. I am going to be emailing them an ass chewing. I will post any replies, but I am not expecting any. One would think that in these especially hard economic times, a store of the caliber of Bloomingdale's would put forth more effort, but I guess they don't need our money. So be it. We wound up going to Lane Bryant at Dulles Town Center and got a really really nice suit for under 100 bucks. I look professional in it and more importantly, I FEEL professional in it. So fuck Bloomie's. They can kiss my ass.

Saturday 11.29.08: Went to Philadelphia. Had an absolute blast. Had lunch in a place called Rotten Ralph's and the cheesesteak was awesome. Saw the Carpenter's Hall, the Liberty Bell, a portrait museum which is housed in what used to be the 2nd ever bank in America and wandered around a lot. We didn't get to go into Independence Hall itself, because tickets (which are free) were all given out for the day, but we got to walk the grounds and sat on a park bench for a while, just watching the foot traffic. I started the Independence Hall kit that I got at the Carpenter's Hall museum shop sitting on a park bench outside Independence Hall. It was kinda neat to sit there and stitch for a bit and think about the people who used those same walkways on their way to change the nation that I live in. Pretty heady stuff. And it made up for that utter ASININE female we had the misfortune of running into at the Liberty Bell who proclaimed quite loudly that (and I quote verbatim) 'basically all of this is for the glorification of a defective bell'. Patrick Henry is rolling in his grave, I just know it. I myself had a 30 minute rant about that comment and Amber hustled me out of there tout suite. OY. Just........omfg......OY OY OY!!!

At any rate, we later on went to Jim's Steaks for dinner and the 45 minute wait was well worth it. The line went around the corner. The cooks don't take any guff, so place the order and move on. If you want fancy dancy ass kissing customer service, this is not the place for you. The line I am told is like that ALL the time, and when you have that many people wanting to be fed, you can't stand there and schmooze the customers. Besides, this is South Philly, ffs. Being PC is the furthest thing on their minds. I also loved the 4th Street deli where we picked up some cheesecake and some cookies. Damn, that is some gooooooooooood shit. Go to both, I promise you you won't regret it.

Sunday 11.30.08: Early morning flight, like at 805 AM. Seats were better and I was more comfortable on this flight, as opposed to being cramped up like a sardine on the way out. I still cried when I left, but I was happy to see my FH when I landed. The rest of the day was spend unpacking, laundry and catching up with FH.

Need to go put up my winter holiday stitching. I hope everyone had the Thanksgiving they wanted. I know I did. :)


Respectfully submitted,


No comments: